Wednesday 30 March 2016

Stop Making Women Feel Ashamed of Their Naked Bodies

Hello again!!

Apologies for the incredible lack of posts.. (OMG, it's been over a year!). Life has a funny way of getting in the way these days, especially as I near fully fledged adulthood *cries*; blog writing is unfortunately at the bottom of the priority list.

I'm currently in my final year at university - scary- and should be writing my dissertation. However, procrastination is not easily avoided, nor is Facebook and Twitter and the nonsense news and gossip shared on the social media sites. Previous readers of Banish Body Hang Ups will know that me writing a blog post is usually prompted by recent news and events - one of the most recent being Kim Kardashian West and her nude selfies...

The woman is like Marmite; you either love her or hate her. Personally, I'm not a fan, but she is a woman who as made the most of the opportunities given to her and for that, I respect her. She recently posted a nude mirror selfie, in which 'relevant' areas were hidden with two bold, black bars,  I doubt you'll have missed it.

Considering the fact we've all seen Kimmy K completely in the buff already (whether we wanted to or not), I'm surprised it provoked such a reaction. I mean, if you think about, it is no different to a woman posting a picture of herself in a bikini and no one ever says a word about them. Regardless of her reason behind posting the selfie, the abuse she got for it was not okay. The names and slut shaming was not okay. People said that she was a bad influence and shouldn't be teaching girls that they should try and seek attention by sharing naked selfies. I don't want to get into the politics of it all and who said what, because it digresses from the point of this post...

If a woman feels comfortable in sharing a naked image then that's her prerogative..

 YOU DO NOT GET TO TELL HER THAT SHE IS WRONG TO DO SO AND TRY TO MAKE HER FEEL ASHAMED.

Same goes for a woman who is most comfortable when she is completely covered up...

YOU DO NOT GET TO TELL HER THAT SHE IS WRONG TO DO SO AND TRY TO MAKE HER FEEL ASHAMED.

Friendly reminder here that a naked body is a natural body and nothing to be ashamed of. 

The actual photo that prompted this post was actually Ms. Kardashian West's photo with 
Emily Ratajkoswski in which they both pose topless for a mirror selfie, along with their middle fingers up. Emily was a celeb who publicly stood by Kim amidst the abuse she received for her naked selfie. The photo is clearly a - as one might say - "F*ck you, haters" (Laughing at myself right now for using the term 'haters' btw) who previously slut shamed her.

To be honest, it was Piers Morgan's tweeting his 'opinion' to the photo of the pair that pissed me off referring to the image as 'tacky' and "RIP feminism". What an idiot. It's not 'tacky' - It is a statement. A statement that to me says, "we will not be made to feel ashamed of our bodies because you don't agree with them". If you find a naked body offensive then NEWS FLASH you don't need to bloody look.. just avert your eyes, it's really not difficult. And RIP feminism?! Not really sure what you are trying to get at there Mr. Morgan?

Anyway, the actual point that I'M trying to get at is that a woman's naked body is not offensive, but shaming her for being proud of it is. I personally would not share an naked picture of myself as I'm not comfortable doing so, but no girl should be shamed if she does, it's ridiculous. Everyone is at a different level with what they are comfortable with and someone being on a different level to you doesn't make them wrong or a bad person. 

I should probably get back to my dissertation now.. sorry for the ranty post, haha!

Much love

Katie 

X

No comments:

Post a Comment