Sunday 2 November 2014

Are we becoming too nitpicky on what is and isn't a good promotion of body image?

Most of you will have seen the picture of a girl stood next to the Topshop mannequin, which recently went viral and prompted lots of criticism towards Topshop for promoting a poor body image. For me personally though, it prompted a different (and possibly controversial) thought - are we getting too nitpicky when it comes to our views on what is and isn't a good promotion for body image?



"The girl on the left is a size 8/10. #Topshop #poorbodyimage #irresponsible #fashion #highstreet" - the tweet that accompanied the picture (source: https://uk.lifestyle.yahoo.com/blogs/fashion-blog/topshop-hits-back-at-mannequin-size-criticism---it-s-not-meant-to-represent-the-female-body-163555403.html)

I have not once looked at the mannequins and thought, "OMG! I need to look like that to wear clothes from here!" I see it for what its function is... to display the clothes. In fact, I've never looked at ANY mannequin in ANY shop and compared myself to them. I just look at the clothes.

Topshop mannequins are not the first inanimate object to come under fire for supposedly promoting a poor body image. Barbie dolls have been notoriously criticised as well, for (apparently)giving young girls an unrealistic idea of beauty. Many times I've seen the proportions of a Barbie doll recreated so we can see how someone who did have the same body proportions as Barbie, would be unable to walk or hold her head up. I've also seen a Barbie created to look like a 'real' person. What I think people forget sometimes is that Barbie is not REAL, so how can it possibly portray anything to do with a REAL woman. You don't see Bratz dolls coming under fire, with their large heads and tiny limbs. I've also never seen Action Man receive criticism for giving boys body image issues! (We forget that men have body confidence issues too, but that's another post) If you're going to criticise something like that, please be consistent people. Oh, and again, I have never compared myself to a Barbie doll and god knows how many I had (I was a little obsessed with them).

I also recently saw something on Facebook, where images of Disney princesses were edited so that they had 'realistic' waistlines. Facepalm moment. Are people going to start criticising Disney cartoons for promoting poor body image now?! Oh dear.

The point I am trying to make is that it is just plain silly to blame something that is NOT REAL for promoting a poor body image. I'd put a bet on most of you never even looking at the size of the legs of the mannequins in Topshop before this picture went viral. The only things that should be questioned when it comes to the promotion of body image is how REAL WOMEN are shown and depicted. There have been numerous times where I've compared myself to a celebrity in a magazine or on Instagram. I've compared myself to fashion models in magazines and to the page 3 girls. I've worried about 'what men want', I've been put down when I see a celebrity with a figure similar to mine being branded as 'ill looking'... are you getting my point yet?

It seems that the issue of body image and confidence is being talked about more recently, which is great! But I think that it has brought a degree of sensitivity with it. EVERYTHING is being criticised and I feel it's going a bit too far. The media needs to be dealt with first and foremost and women need to learn not to compare themselves to anyone else as they are unique and no two bodies are the same! Women need to stop criticising other women too! Far too many times have there been nasty comments left on a picture of someone on instagram or facebook. It's not on! 

 I must point out that just because I have never compared myself to a mannequin or Barbie doll, does not mean that no one else has either. This is my personal opinion and this level of sensitivity is, to me, a bit over the top... and I'm on a mission to remove body insecurities!


What do you think? Am I being too harsh? Have you ever compared yourself to a mannequin or Barbie doll? Let me know x

No comments:

Post a Comment